Research paper on the experience of Chania presented at the SpliTech Conference 2022 in Croatia
July 18, 2022
Elisavet Tsekeri from our lead partner TSI (Technical University of Crete / Πολυτεχνείο Κρήτης), authored a paper title “On the integration of nature-based solutions with digital innovation for health and wellbeing in cities“, based the experience of our pilot city, Chania. The paper was presented at the SpliTech Conference 2022 – Hybrid Conference in Croatia.
Our speaker Elisavet presented the potential of NBS-enriched digital techniques that can be integrated into a future city. By using Chania-Greece as a case study, Elisavet presented:
- Description of solutions
- Key performance indicators (KPIs)
- Design of ICT infrastructures (IoT, Mixed Reality, ICT)
The presentation then shed light on the scope of our work with Chania :
- demonstration the capabilities of an ICT Platform which gathers and mines environmental data through visual analytics, enabling the interconnection of interactive Mixed Reality applications, Open Data Platforms, and third-party applications.
- Combination of data from IoT, processed with ICT and visualised in Mixed Reality, is integrated to form an engaging interactive experiences for environmental awareness, outdoors on-site and on-the-move.
- Expand the static visualisation with MR technologies, to increase citizens’ and visitors’ environmental awareness and motivate them to act accordingly to safe guard their city and individual wellbeing.
- Promote public green spaces and make understandable and clear the impact to the citizens’ health and well-being through smart technologies in a multimodal, gamified and interactive way.
The full paper reference is E. Tsekeri, A. Lilli, M. Katsiokalis, K. Gobakis, A. Mania and D. Kolokotsa, “On the integration of nature-based solutions with digital innovation for health and wellbeing in cities,” 2022 7th International Conference on Smart and Sustainable Technologies (SpliTech), 2022, pp. 1-6, doi: 10.23919/SpliTech55088.2022.9854269.
It is accessible here: https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/9854269