The local council is committed to improve air quality through nature-based solutions, envisioning urban regeneration through greening interventions. The local council is also committed to support co-design and transition management approaches, promoting active citizenship, engagement and participation in the implementtion of nature-based solutions.
The pilot site will contribute to the improvement of air quality and reduction of noise pollution, targeting the promotion of a healthy lifestyle (physical activity, recreation, relaxation, sense of safety, psychological benefits).
VARCITIES will finance three carefully planned solutions, supported by participatory processes for nature-based solutions and innovative measurement of air pollutants. The goals are:
- Increasing vegetation in the centre of the city
- Reducing air and noise pollution, improve walkability and general health and well-being
- Boosting civic participation, social responsibility, and environmental and sustainability awareness
- Developing innovative sensors
- Boosting community building and sense of belonging, mitigating the negative effects of gentrification
- Reducing car use and facilitate a cultural shift towards green transport
- Boosting sports and healthy lifestyle of citizens.